Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Loquacious

Boy-in-French update. His name's John (or, perhaps I hope, Jon). He volunteered to speak French for fifteen seconds in front of the class for candy.


Mme Z: Qu'est-ce que professur tu préfères? «Which teacher do you prefer?»
J: Je préfère... Mme Z. Elle est trés intéressente et... ahh, nice, nice... «I prefer... Mme Z. She's very interesting and...»
Mme Z: Gentile. Bonbon. Sympa - sympathique. «Kind. Sweet. Nice.»
J: Ahh, yeah, elle est sympa. «Yeah, she's nice.»

For the complimentary disposition he got a second piece of candy, and put the speakers from before and after in a begging mood.

Now, leaving French. I'm waiting outside the door for that girl whose name I think is Colleen, to tell her I like her sneakers. Swimmerette, in the hallway, calls out my name. I turn my head, find her, turn back around, and realize I've missed Colleen, who's now going the other way. After a completely pointless hey-hey kind of interaction with Swimmerette, I head up to the third floor. Who's gotten in the crowded stairwell six inches behind me but John (Jon)?

Apparently he's got a collection of Beatles shirts, because he's got another one on. (Definitely one of the better trends right now. Can't be worn very well with boho, and near poseur-proof. Who's never heard a Beatles song?) The moment seemed right to initate another conversation, in English this time.

"Another shirt?"

"Wha?"

"Another Beatles shirt."

"Mm? - oh. Yeah."

"You're going to spoil the whole class, we'll all want two pieces of candy now."

"Ah... heh."

Well, I know that writes like a total flop, but I don't think it was. Jo(h)n split with a, "See you," at the second floor landing and I contiuned up on my own, musing on the conversation, being glad I hadn't lost a flip-flop, let my salvaged emo satchel slip off my shoulder, or otherwise done something stupid (à la Brittany passing period previous, saying "hey" to her name-yet-unknown boy prospect, and banging into a pole).

After lunch, I learn from Colleen that J was in her French class last year, and that he hardly ever says much. Tomorrow, I suspect, I'll have to find out what else she knows about him.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

la la la you and men (or guys rather) Beatle's shirts are a good trend... ALthough I know half of them don't know what album yellow sumbarine was on first (Revovler came out BEFORE Yellow Submarine [the album] did!!) Although yesterday I saw a girl with pink lip gloss and ponytails with pink bangles braclets and a studded AC/DC shirt... What the fruitcake?!!

September 08, 2005 4:54 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

J, huh?
I was at Northwestern University last summer, and one of the people who founded it's name is Noble J. Puffer. That cracks me up.

September 08, 2005 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok this is off topic:i went to indiana this summer and theres a university called ball state university (BS University lol)!

September 09, 2005 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh la la, Anna!

Wait, what happened to Russell? *so in the dark*

September 10, 2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger a said...

Hee hee, Anna. Cody is cuter then Jo(h)n! lol jk
haha my word is oyfak.

September 10, 2005 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah my name, my name. Me happy thanks

September 14, 2005 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home