Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Earthquake Groundling

Usually I miss all the radio shows. Everything's easy to find in cold, Saturday morning light.

I can't remember ever being as scared as the night before. You proved sick with jealousy to me, and I wish you'd been there to believe shaking with fear. I woke up in the dark and felt like I'd be sick no matter what. I woke up in the dim and spent three minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. I woke up in light and couldn't think of what possibly to do next.

In the morning, here's a fizzless glass that was soda I poured myself before the terror. In the shower, I'm already back to all the usual dilemmas. On the phone, I hear about the highest standards, but I wish I knew the opposite side of the story. All day long, what will I say to you?

When the phone rings hours later, the tension that took hours to leave me snaps back for just a moment.
It's a god-awful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair
But her mummy is yelling "No"
And her daddy has told her to go
But her friend is nowhere to be seen
Now she walks through her sunken dream
To the seat with the clearest view
And she's hooked to the silver screen

- David Bowie, "Life On Mars?"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when Anna blogs.


But I hate it when bad stuff happens.

November 21, 2006 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried to call...maybe next time everyone's out of the house. I'm paranoid.

What on earth did you talk about for an hour?

November 22, 2006 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you polygamist

December 03, 2006 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna,
Remember the good ol' days when you'd make super, super, super long posts about your shampoo? I miss it. :(

December 10, 2006 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home