Thursday, September 15, 2005

Smile More

Did you see the guy walking around with the acoustic guitar during passing periods today? I saw him three times, and it just made me smile. Not only because he was dressed just like French Boy (except the guitarist's t-shirt was Let It Be Naked and French Boy's was ordinary Let It Be), but because life needs a soundtrack. You know, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" when French Boy flipped his fingers at me, and "My Doorbell" for when Ballex and S-B M turned up unannounced on the front step.

In reality, the musical highlight of today were the several tracks of Daft Punk as "something to listen to while crosshatching" that thoroughly convinced my entire drawing class I'm crazy. That led Brittany into making some kind of comment about how I'm the kind of person who couldn't care less, which she probably didn't realize how much I appreciated.

Right now, the only thing upsetting me is that "Lyla" would be an even better song if it hadn't been changed from "Smiler". Apparently a former band of one of the guys in Oasis had a song called "Smiler". So? I don't know anybody named Lyla. But everybody knows a smiler. There was one in my kindergarden class, with a ton of curly, bright orange hair and freckles. She walked with leg braces and canes, but she was always wearing a huge grin.

Today deserves a resolution: Smile more. Not just because, as we've all learned from other people's t-shirts, "It confuses people." A smile, even a forced one, makes you feel better. A smile induces the joke that brings on a laugh. A smile gets you out of trouble where a sulk wouldn't. It intimidates snobby, controlling people, and it's something kind people appreciate.

So whatcha say, smiler?

The world around us makes me feel so
Small, Lyla
If you can't hear me call,
Then I can't say, Lyla
Heaven help you catch me if I fall
- Oasis, "Lyla"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I made the same resolution this year when I started school. Anyone you look at thinks you're smiling at them and for them, and it's made me many friends.

September 15, 2005 6:40 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Have you ever hears Smile by Micheal Sway? It's pretty ok. It was like a free song of the week a few months ago.

September 16, 2005 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home