Sunday, December 24, 2006

How Loose So Many Nations

I left the house Friday morning without the intended can of green tea, ten-dollar bill, and green sweatshirt. That day fell apart and that night I froze to death.

Tonight I rediscovered Donkey's wonderful red chocolate fudge hearts, and out of nowhere there was an hour about the early years of Bob Dylan on the radio, and I spent this evening sewing cheap vintage curtain rings and old buttons to my bag.


I understand now what Diana Vreeland was gushing about, how badly she wanted wonderful pictures blown up. Images of Warhol prints three inches square aren't enough! I wish I could show how big seeing the reflection of my reflection was.

That night I'd gone several without sleeping. I saw a lovely woman's hand snatching at the doorframe and a cricket jumping the same jump again and again and I read the introduction of an old art history book that blew me up thinking about creation and entropy.

Official divisions between time periods always make me expect something new. I can't remember it ever really working out. I'm hoping everything will change with the date regardless. This year should have taught me something, but I can't remember ever learning from a mistake. When you can't bear Band-Aids, you just avoid getting hurt.


How do you like bright scratches and shapes and scars?
This can be the bitter end
I know it won't

Well, some would say I'd made a mistake
Kept looking forward on paths sideways
It's everything that is connected and beautiful
And now I know just where I stand

Well, seasons always shift too late
Spent too much time now on paths sideways
It's everything that is connected and beautiful
And now I know just where I stand

Thank God it's over

- Silversun Pickups, "Kissing Families"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you forgot your green sweatshirt, but theres a 98% chance that your hair looked cute. Am i right?

December 24, 2006 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do take yourself too seriously. It doesn't mean self-depreciation, just have a little humor and step out of your dramatic movie.

December 24, 2006 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your pictures make me think of fractals....

but anyways.

Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Danka said...

fwah! you're pictures be so pretty, and yet they confuse me, how'd you get the mirror and the camera in the same spot? oh wait, was there a camera sitting in front of mirror while you were holding a mirror? that seems to make sense...ish... well I hope you enjoyed the red fudgie hearts and a drink in the squeeking pinapple!

December 26, 2006 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home