Saturday, February 02, 2008

February Resolutions

There's a split in the narrative as the level of my floor rises to meet that of my bed.

The first day of this year I spent thirteen hours in bed with Kat. I woke up staring into Siouxsie's enormously lined eyes. We ate breakfast past 3:30, toast and jam and egg and Simon & Garfunkel. A day at Kat's house is its own color scheme, epoch, towels, plates, publications, ERA era, French horn, prayer flags, poor lighting, nail-polish-painted sheet. Kat is purple and tomatoes and sunshine, Mediterranean teal and pink duct tape.


On that long, long train ride home I considered my future ex-boyfriend and how long that might take. I started in like it was a new year, taped up David Bowie and then Shakespeare.

I didn't finish the wall or the shelves and drawers or papers or the book about punk. All my friends are racking up their months together and it took me nineteen days. I don't know enough comic-book villians. He could have shared but there's snowny miles between and we can't fly. I'm picking them up elsewhere, going in other directions. I want to really fly back to the city all summer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want to know a secret of mine?
My exboyfriend called me on Thursday and we are having lunch today. I haven't talked nor seem him in two years.
"We may be through with the past but the past ain't through with us."

Don't tell nobody

February 03, 2008 8:26 AM  
Blogger Danka said...

Anna darling, I haven't seen nor talked to you in a while. I haven't had time to venture here in a while, but I love it all the same. Remember when we sat at the library with conversation jelly beans and arranged them on our gloves? I hope I run into you sometime and that you're having fun.

Oh yeah, and thanks for all those nights you sat with me over the phone and listened to me cry. It was silly but all very much true; I didn't like my dad (still don't) and I thought I'd never have a boyfriend and I'd remain single all my life. Have I told you that that's changed? It's been almost five months now...

February 22, 2008 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home