Thursday, November 17, 2005

Don't Snow

Wind whips pathetic, dusty drifts across unoccupied asphalt. The chill wrenches its tune from the strings of guitars and hearts. This is the final death of my summer. I'm shivering out the open window, empty hand exposed, begging for it all to stop. Memories cost a terrible price.

This week last year, a day thoughtless of snow, I was asking out the Crush. I'm deeper now than then, sinking fast. This year, winter blows coldly down my throat, ever fighting my persistent and anxiously patient summer mind.

I won't wear a bandage; well, then, I won't get hurt. Reversed logic plays Jenga with the magnets that keep me just balanced on the edge of the knife. This isn't Serene standing at the synagogue, professing the climate "nippy". This icily evanescent intruder freezes my heart, reminding me of Christmas, of this and him and that, of everything I've wanted but can't have.

...Please don't snow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were all so innocent back then.

I had a dream about you, Anna. I bumped into you and I'd found out that you were pregnant and you'd married him and I was pissed off because no one had told me anything, but then you had to go back to your home that had turned into a hospital/laboratory and have your baby and I was sobbing because I knew I'd never see you again.

And then I woke up feeling faint and feverish.

I guess this is proof that Anna has her bad days too, hmm?

At least winter is devoid of bugs and sunburn.

November 17, 2005 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all will weep for the loss of innocence. The neverending hug, however, will last forever.

November 18, 2005 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home