Friday, November 11, 2005

There Is Only Diversity

Seventh is one of the best hours of my school day. It makes up for an afternoon that's otherwise gym, chemistry, and advanaced alegbra. It's history, of course, which is usually interesting, frequently facts I've learned before, and, for me, difficult not to absorb. I can suck it in, spell it out on the test, and earn my ninety-nine-point-three-eight A.

My seat is front of the windows, open yesterday despite brisk gusts of wind, and next to Swimmerette. We do, of course, spend most our time on history. But if I don't have my ancient teacher for medieval next semester, I'll be very dissapointed. She talks about Harry Potter and tells droll stories about her crazy in-laws. She started the Harry Potter Club, swore at boys who crashed in late, and asked extra-credit questions answered with such words as "Weasley" and "Quidditch". And Wednesday afternoon, while being the only teacher to give us December's exam schedule, she orated a fantasy that mingled semester's-end anxiety with resigned bitterness.

It takes place in a very familiar high school, not too long ago. Exams weren't held until January and Ramadan was in December. The week before Christmas vacation was occupied by chorus classes caroling in the halls, a riotous, candy-throwing assembly, teachers as Santa Claus, senior valedictorian singing the Adam Sandler Hanukkah song, and a universal freewheeling, festive spirit that drove uncooperative teachers up the wall.

Now, think of a very familiar high school, right this minute. Scrooge says students will forget everything August through November if they have half of December to do it in. Scrooge says there is no such thing as Christmas vacation, but merely "winter break". Scrooge says call off the festivities. Scrooge says the only thing resembling a holiday show will be the ever so aptly-named "Evening with the Humanities". Scrooge says put exam week in December. Scrooge says there is no such thing as good cheer or majority rule, but only diversity. Scrooge says politically correct it is and will be.

Tell me: who's the happier?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, that's funny. My mom got free tickets to the fourth movie, a day before it's released, on the 17th, instead of the 18. and it's on IMAX too!

November 11, 2005 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm well i'm so happy that i get to sit next to you in Ancient. I love that class, i swear if i wasn't in that class i dont' think i could survive the day either. I love sitting by you Ashley, and Tarsha. Haha i have a really funny story to tell you about selling christmas wreaths at Ashley's house. i so want it to be the old way again. I mean we would have so so much more fun that way. I mean think of the carolers in the hallway. Also our teacher is the best, the stories of the inlaws, the mad drawing skills, etc. Its the best thing ever! Well i have to go. call me tho

November 11, 2005 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate how everything in America has to be politically correct. Goddamn double standards...

November 11, 2005 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

99.3/8 on a test. This test obviously isn't math. =D

November 12, 2005 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I killllll Scrooge. Or beat with bigggg stick. AND I GET TO MEET FRED AND GEOOOOORGE!!! *pant*

November 13, 2005 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn the man!
Keep the empire!

November 13, 2005 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I would MUCH rather have finals before the break. Do you REALLY think that I want to be studying for some finals during my break? HELL NO! I'm going to be SNOWBOARDING and drinking HOT CHOCOLATE and otherwise having a school-free, totally kickass time.

November 15, 2005 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home