Thursday, December 22, 2005

Four Thousand "I'll See You"s

I don't know why it took a week short of six months to happen, but today I went down the same street that took me to the airport the day I left for Britain.

Surely I must have travelled that road between then and now, mustn't I? Tell me I must. I've ridden down it so many times in my mind, looking out from the collar of my polo, beneath my I'm-going-to-South-Carolina-let's-buy-a-hat hat. For a June day thinking of July, there's air conditioning and I'm cool. There's excitement in my heart, heavier than the pile of books I dropped on that librarian last spring break, lighter than the little girl who couldn't sleep on Christmas Eve.

It occurs to me now that there's nothing, except all that was part of that trip, that I wouldn't give to do it over again. Of course, because what wasn't part of that trip that I love? Friends and music and late nights and sheer joy.

A world without golden friends could only be as lonely as one of nothing but evergreen. Let me touch green into each dead leaf and put every one back on the trees. I'll breathe on an icicle and scrub every bit of slush from under my fingernails in the melting trickle. If my heart is the only cache, I'll paint the street with blood.

I'll swim, or swallow the ocean and walk. I'm licking my wounds and I'm used to the taste of salt.

She's gone two thousand miles, it's very far
The snow came falling now,
Gets colder day by day, I miss you

I hear people singing,
It felt like Christmastime

- Coldplay covering the Pretenders, "2000 Miles"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I miss you.

December 22, 2005 12:33 AM  
Blogger Danka said...

oh anna! how come you can write so awesomely? Hey remember how we said that you learned your letters first and I my numbers? Well I found a pic of me of the floor with math cards and it dates back to a time before I could read. Kinda funny ain't it? But anyway, it's kinda cool how you'va changed your writing to focusing everything on the people you've interacted with to everything that's happened to You. Shows how much more you like your self these days. But anyway...I have nothing more to say...

December 22, 2005 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you and miss you so much! Anyway i can now go online and i really need to start working more on my Ancient take home test. Hmm if you want to call me and we can double check answers!

December 23, 2005 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mind didn't understand this post, but my heart did. Does that make sense? It probably doesn't...but it does to me.

December 24, 2005 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. Does this mean you went on vacation?

December 28, 2005 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i finally got a digital camera. and it's water proof. Yes finally. Anyway hmm i finally am allowed back online! Yes

December 30, 2005 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home