Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fuzzy Logic

Remember grade school, when high-school students gave you those fuzzy yarn pom-poms on yarn strings to hang around your neck? Every time you were nice to someone, you were supposed to pull a little piece of yarn out of your pom-pom and tie it to the other person's string. By the end of the day, your pom-pom would have just a few strands left, and little ties in many colors would be knotted to your string.

You know me. I was not going to see my perfect, round pink pom-pom limp and depleted. I pulled out maybe a yarn or two, and got as many ties from other people. I must have avoided everybody. That afternoon, I hid it under the racks of clothing on my closet so I wouldn't have to explain it. I knew no one would understand.

I have elementary-school Valentines in my closet. Ah, the sweetest of diluted loves. I never did explain the pom-pom, but I threw it away ages ago.

It's the sort of day when you could love everybody. Good news! Far more people than you expected are willing to give you candy. I haven't eaten this many sweets in a day since finals week. Ribbon-bedraped pigtails get people looking at me I never realized didn't. It makes me look girlish, I know, but that's just the point. Today, I'm still too young to be cynical. If the cavity of your chest is bigger than your heart - never fear, that's room for improvement. You've got time to grow into it. It's an excellent excuse to be as bubbly as Cherry Coke. It's a big party, and warm out, too.

Fire on the hill
Fire in me still
I feel out of my league
But you turn around and you say to me that

I love everybody here
And I agree
I love everybody here

- Athlete, "I Love"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well. i can understand the ball of yarn thing. i didnt want to do mine either. but i did...
and they cancelled star raiders at most schools because too many people in them were druggies.
ha.
anyway
i love cherry coke
and your pigtails
which you should definitely wear more.


i'll see you tomorrow during gymnastics, and your amazing routine!! haha
-gina xoxo

February 15, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Danka said...

hey! Valentine's Day is my half birthday!!! YAY!!!

February 15, 2006 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Shelby, When it comes to Anna, everyday is Valentine's Day.

I don't know it that makes any sense but I love you!

February 16, 2006 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can always teach you how to make those again... ^____^

Oh diluted loves, indeed.

February 19, 2006 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home